Partner City

Southwold

Quaint Hamlets & Bustling Villages


The Township of Southwold is part of Elgin County and lies just to the west of the city of St. Thomas. Indigenous peoples have lived on this land for thousands of years, and one can visit the Southwold Earthworks, a major pre-contact fortified village site of the Neutral people from about 1450 to 1550 CE. Today it is a National Historic Site. Southwold was surveyed and in 1792 named after a town in Suffolk, England. The region's rich soils supported the growth of hamlets and villages in the 19th Century, like Fingal, Talbotville, Iona, Shedden, and Paynes Mills. Today Southwold has a population of around 4,500 and retains its agricultural roots. Many beautiful heritage buildings have been carefully preserved in all of its villages and hamlets. These buildings, combined with the bucolic landscape, illustrate the strong bonds of rural community that shaped the region's history, and make Southwold an absolute pleasure to explore by car or bike.

This project is a partnership with the Township of Southwold and the Elgin County Museum & Archives.

We respectfully acknowledge that the Township of Southwold is within the traditional territory of the Oneida, Munsee Delaware, Anishnabek, Haudenosaunee (Iroquois), and Ojibway/Chippewa peoples. This territory is covered by the Upper Canada Treaties.

Explore

 Southwold

Then and Now Photos

Fordham House


Fordham House Fordham House
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 022.028.001

ca. 1900

Five young barefoot boys and a woman pose for a photo at the corner of Union Road and Fingal Line in Fingal. At the time the building in the background served as the Merchants Bank of Canada. Today it is a private residence known as the Fordham House.

The Reverend's House


The Reverend's House The Reverend's House
Loading...

Elgin County Archives R6 S1 Sh3 B2 F1 93

ca. 1902

Here we see the Talbotville home of Reverend John Holmes, his wife, and Ms. Luella Holmes. Three women and a man in a horse drawn buggy pose for a photo out front.

Red & White Store


Red & White Store Red & White Store
Loading...

Elgin County Archives R6 S1 Sh3 B2 F2 92

ca. 1945

The Red & White Store in Talbotville. It was originally built as a hotel in 1890 by Warren Smith, but never received a license to operate as one. It was demolished in 1953 to make way for the service station you see today.

Francis Blacksmith


Francis Blacksmith Francis Blacksmith
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2018-58

ca. 1885

This is the John Doan Francis Blacksmith Shop in Shedden. The home in the background belonged to John Doan Francis, who is also in the photo seated third from right.

Sunday School Anniversary


Sunday School Anniversary Sunday School Anniversary
Loading...

Elgin County Archives R6 S1 Sh3 B2 F2 108a

1915

Reverend John Mahan (in the high hat) and others outside the Talbotville Methodist Church. It is on the 23 May 1915 anniversary of Sunday School.

Fingal Farmers' Inn


Fingal Farmers' Inn Fingal Farmers' Inn
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 022.028.003

ca. 1890s

A number of men, women, and children pose for a photo on the patio of the Fingal Farmers' Inn. There's also a boy standing with his bicycle. The photo's accompanying caption reads:
" The Farmer's Inn, Located in Fingal on the Union Road was built about 1860. After 1865, it was owned by John Partridge, who also ran a stage coach business running from Wallacetown to St. Thomas. This picture shows the hitching rail outside the open barroom door."

All Sorts Furniture


All Sorts Furniture All Sorts Furniture
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 40878

1988

This was the site of the All Sorts Unlimited New and Used Furniture store in Shedden.

Horton's General Store


Horton's General Store Horton's General Store
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2003-18

ca. 1915

Horton's General Store and Post Office in Shedden. Standing on the patio are Manson Horton, the store's proprietor, and Lola Sells Baker, an employee at the store. Horton's three-year-old daughter Elda Mae is also visible.

Hovey House


Hovey House Hovey House
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2002-26

1877

Drawing of the Matthias Hovey house in Fingal. The house survives today.

Knox Presbyterian


Knox Presbyterian Knox Presbyterian
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2018-58

ca. 1890

The Knox Presbyterian Church in Fingal. A large congregation wearing their Sunday best have gathered outside.

Woman on Talbot Line


Woman on Talbot Line Woman on Talbot Line
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 40878

ca. 1920s

A woman in white on the sidewalk in front of some homes in Shedden along the Talbot Line.

Talbot Road East


Talbot Road East Talbot Road East
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2005-26

ca. 1925

A view of Talbot Road East in Shedden, showing trees, and a business block with a car parked out front.

Talbotville Methodist


Talbotville Methodist Talbotville Methodist
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2005-26

ca. 1915

A colourized postcard view of the Methodist Church in Talbotville. A woman in a horse-drawn buggy and a small boy stand in the street at right.

Amasa Wood Home


Amasa Wood Home Amasa Wood Home
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2018-57

1949

The Fingal home of Amasa Wood, a prominent local merchant.

Shedden Bank of Commerce


Shedden Bank of Commerce Shedden Bank of Commerce
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2018-57

1951

The Bank of Commerce in Shedden.

Glasgow House


Glasgow House Glasgow House
Loading...

Elgin County Archives R6 S5 Sh1 B2 F1 2

ca. 1970

This home in Fingal is known as the Glasgow House. The Southwold Township Fingal History Tour says this of the house:
"William Glasgow, one of the partners in the MacPherson, Glasgow & Co, owned this house. As a young man Mr. Glasgow immigrated to America and found his way to Lockport, New York. He worked for a number of years and then made the acquaintance of another young Scotsman named MacPherson. Being ambitious young Scotsmen, they decided to go into the foundry business for themselves."

Chauncey Lewis House


Chauncey Lewis House Chauncey Lewis House
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2007-19

ca. 1933

The Chauncey Lewis House in Fingal. This photo was part of a collection of lantern slides created by Canon Reverend Norman Morris to highlight historic homes in East Elgin.

MacNish House


MacNish House MacNish House
Loading...

Elgin County Archives R7 S2 Sh3 B2 F21

ca. 1933

The Duncan MacNish home. This photo was part of a collection of lantern slides created by Canon Reverend Norman Morris to highlight historic homes in West Elgin.

Fulton House


Fulton House Fulton House
Loading...

Elgin County Archives R6 S5 Sh1 B2 F4 15

1987

The Robert & Samuel Fulton House in Fingal after it's heritage restoration in 1987.

Watson's Corners School


Watson's Corners School Watson's Corners School
Loading...

Elgin County Archives R6 S5 Sh1 B1 F10 4

ca. 1947

A school at Watson's Corners, west of Fingal.

Fingal's Main Street


Fingal's Main Street Fingal's Main Street
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2018-58

ca. 1880

A view looking southwest on Fingal Line from the corner of Union Road. In the far distance you can see the spire of the Knox Presbyterian Church, while the businesses at right include the S.E. Burwell General Store and Post Office, H.J. Crocker's blacksmith shop, and Colin Martin's grocery store. As we can see, none of these buildings have survived to the present.

Fulton House


Fulton House Fulton House
Loading...

Elgin County Archives M5 S1 Sh1 B4 F4 2

ca. 1899

The Fulton House in Fingal. A handwritten caption by Helen McCall Pincombe in 1899 reads:
"This photograph was taken in circa 1899, the year Nelson Simpson died and left the Fulton House to his oldest son George Simpson McCall. Far left front is Dr. Charles M. McCall V.S. (27 years old) holding the bridle of horse. Centre front is George Simpson McCall (35 years) and wife Ann Hockin McCall (aged 26 years old). Between them is their daughter Hazel (3 years old). Behind them under porch is Catharine Ketchum McCall (56 years old) widow of Nelson Simpson McCall. Beside her is her grandchild Myrtle (3 years old) daughter of Celia McCall Campbell and Malcolm Robert Campbell."

Fingal Foundry & Machine Shop


Fingal Foundry & Machine Shop Fingal Foundry & Machine Shop
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 2002-26

1877

This drawing was in the H.R. Page & Company's Historical Atlas of Elgin County, Ontario, and shows the Fingal Foundry and Machine Shop in its heyday.

Palmer's Red & White Store


Palmer's Red & White Store Palmer's Red & White Store
Loading...

Elgin County Archives P488

ca. 1940

Two women standing in front of the Red & White Store in Shedden. Red & White were an early store chain, and this particular one was operated out of L.D. Palmer's General Store.

Fingal Students


Fingal Students Fingal Students
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 022.028.002

ca. 1930

A class photo of 22 boys and girls along with their teacher in front of the S.S. #12 Fingal School.

Greyhound Wayside Inn


Greyhound Wayside Inn Greyhound Wayside Inn
Loading...

Elgin County Archives Box 538, Envelope 104

ca. 1936

This property at the corner of Talbot Line and Sunset Drive was first developed in 1913, when a gas-powered grist mill was built on the site. In 1936 a restaurant and gas station were built here, which served as the local Greyhound bus terminal, hence the name.
In 1975 it was purchased by Nick and Trudy Kanellis who renovated and expanded the restaurant many times over the following decades. A devastating fire in 2001 destroyed much of the building, but Nick and Trudy quickly rebuilt it and the restaurant survives today as the Wayside Dining Lounge.

Robert Blackwood Home


Robert Blackwood Home Robert Blackwood Home
Loading...

Elgin County Archives R7 S2 Sh3 B2 F13

1933

The home of Robert Blackwood, a prominent local merchant who made major contributions to the community of Fingal, like securing funding for an impressive belfry at the Knox Presbyterian Church. This photograph was one of a series of glass lantern slides created by Canon Reverend Norman Morris in 1933 to document the heritage buildings of West Elgin.

Elgin Manor


Elgin Manor Elgin Manor
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 39448

1962

This is the Elgin Manor, which was built in the 1870s. At the time this photo was taken in 1962 it served as a retirement home. Today a more modern retirement home has been built on the spot to replace it.

MacPherson House


MacPherson House MacPherson House
Loading...

Elgin County Archives R6 S5 Sh1 B2 F4 12

ca. 1970

The MacPherson House in Fingal.

Paynes Mills


Paynes Mills Paynes Mills
Loading...

Elgin County Archives

ca. 1900s

A view across a bridge along the Talbot Line to a home in Paynes Mills.

Squire Home


Squire Home Squire Home
Loading...

Elgin County Archives R7 S2 Sh3 B2 F15

ca. 1933

A wintertime view of the home of Squire George Robb. This photo was part of a collection of lantern slides created by Canon Reverend Norman Morris to highlight historic homes in West Elgin.

Fingal Stage Coach


Fingal Stage Coach Fingal Stage Coach
Loading...

Elgin County Archives 40878

ca. 1890

The Fingal Stage Coach stopping in Middlemarch to collect mail on the way to St. Thomas.


Explore

Museums

Top